Welcome to school first-year law students!
You are about to experience a surge of conflicting emotions: excitement, fear, insecurity, intrigue, stress, pride, and ultimately, relief when it is all over. The worst part may be not knowing how to handle every challenge that is thrown at you.
However, the reason law school is like this is probably because the practice of law is like this to some degree. That is, practicing law, at least most areas of the law, requires constant learning. The bad new is, some people do not enjoy life-long learning. The good news is, the longer you work, the more you have learned and the more valuable you become.
But if you don’t like law school, don’t give up hope, because most attorneys agree that law school is much less enjoyable than the practice of law. In fact, law school is down-right painful, especially around the time of law school exams.
As you begin your law school journey, congratulate yourself for having made it this far. To equip you for the ride, here is a large collection of good law school tips and a few law school blogs that might be of interest to new law students. I also recommend these law school books.
Law school tips:
- Things I Wish I’d Understood on Day 1 of Law School
- First-Year Law Students: Resources for 1L’s
- Tips for 1Ls From Around the Blogosphere
- Tips and advice for the newest law students
- Law School Goal Setting
- 1L Question: Do Smart Law Students Sit in the Front Row?
- Free Law School Outlines – 1L, 2L, and 3L
- 1L Advice: Ways a 1L Can Prepare for Law School
- Terms and Phrases New Law Students Must Know
- New Law School Students: Frequently Asked Questions
- Law Students Share Their Tips and Advice
- Tips and advice for the newest law students II: Outside
- Tips for Pre-Law Students Preparing for Law School
- More 1L Law School Tips
Law School Blogs:
- Law Student (The site you are currently reading)
- The Rising Jurist (Be sure to check out this humorous post: The Most Interesting Cases You Will Read as a 1L)
- New at Law
- Mac Law Students Blog
- Old Law Guy
- Legal Andrew (he graduated from law school in 2007)
- The Frugal Law Student
- and check out the other blogs listed in the right column under “Law School Blogs”