≡ Menu

Best Law School Notetaking Software (for PC)

After my first law school semester, a friend tried to convince me to leave Microsoft Word and instead take notes with Microsoft OneNote 2003 (Old Version). I refused. Finally, I decided to give OneNote a try as a 2L. I had no idea it would be this good.

OneNote has every feature that a student would use in Microsoft Word plus so much more!

Record Your Professor Synchronized to Your Notes. One of the coolest features is how it can record your professor while you take notes. Then later when you click on a note, you can play the audio of your professor talking exactly when you typed that note. So on take-home exams, you can just scan your notes for key concepts on your exam and re-listen to your professor discuss those concepts.

Search Your Audio Recordings. The new version, OneNote 2007, includes a feature to scan your audio recording for words. I assume the accuracy of the search depends on the quality of the audio recording. So now you can search for any time your professor discussed “contingent remainders” (a painful concept in property) even if you didn’t write this in your notes. For recording, I recommend this excellent, little, $10 Labtec Microphone.

Control Your Search. The other features of OneNote are just as amazing. You can quickly search your notes for words, easily deciding if OneNote should search just one document, multiple documents, or all your documents. The search is surprising fast.

Easily Manage Multiple Documents. OneNote also makes flipping between documents very easy. No longer will you have to open multiple documents in your startbar—for example, your class notes, notes from reading before class, and your outline. OneNote uses tabs on the side of the page to quickly flip between documents. Advanced OneNote users also use hyperlinks to quickly switch between note.

Mark-up Documents. Does your professor provide handouts by e-mail or online? If so, OneNote allows you to type your notes on top of your professor’s handouts, so you can add your comments while your professor discusses the handout in class.

Type Class Notes with Friends . One more feature that is very useful is the way you and your friends can share a page over the internet. I’ve used this with a friend: we took notes in two columns next to each other. His typing immediately appeared on my document. It was great to see what he was typing and we both ended up with much more comprehensive notes.

These are a few of the many features that makes OneNote so perfect for law students, or any college students for that matter. OneNote gives law students a competitive advantage. Students are eligible for the discounted student version, which is the exact same as the normal version, at Amazon.com here: OneNote 2007 (student version).

If you are a OneNote user with additional tips or ideas, tell us about them by adding a comment here. For more student software options, check out Legal Andrew‘s 52 Handy Tools and Sites for Students. Or read an overview of other notetaking software for students.

UPDATE: I was glad to see that the Reasonable Expectations blog listed OneNote as the best law school software.

Digg this!

• Andrew Flusche June 6, 2007, 7:46 pm

This is a really great review of OneNote. I might have to look into this again as I begin my career.

Thanks for the link!
    Andrew

• Eduardo Rizo June 6, 2007, 8:42 pm

The current version of Word for Mac has the synchronized recording feature which I find extremely useful.

I try to review my class notes immediately after the class. When doing so, I can clean up areas where I might have lost focus while in class.

Being able to quickly skip to the section of the recording you need a playback of is priceless. It actually helps me focus on good note taking rather than worry about getting everything down.

• Jeremy Katz June 11, 2007, 9:16 pm

I just finished my 1L year using OneNote, and it was awesome. The ability to search my notes for mention of “perscriptive” may not be unique, but the fact that it will present me with an organized list showing each and every place I typed “perscriptive” is priceless. (showing which case, which class, briefs, study group, and professor’s hypos).

The other fantastic feature is the very intuitive outlining functions. OneNote makes it easy to take comprehensive “outlined” notes during lecture.

I highly recommend OneNote… Its hard to go back to word

• 2L June 14, 2007, 7:02 am

Great point, Eduardo. Word for the Mac already has one of these cool features built in. I wonder why PC users didn’t get this feature in Word. Maybe Word 2007 for the PC has it.

• 2L June 14, 2007, 7:15 am

Jeremy, I’m glad to hear of another student benefiting from OneNote. Thanks for mentioning OneNote’s intuitive outlining functions—great point!

• Tony Childers June 22, 2007, 2:26 pm

How do most of you who use OneNote organize your notebook(s)? Do you have a notebook for each class or do you have one notebook and have tabs for each class.. Right now i have a notebook for each class, and a tab for each academic week, which is then divided into days.

• Issabella H March 8, 2008, 7:47 am

OneNote is definitely the best software for the PC, I used to see Law students in class like Michelle Marco, Jackie Lee and Stephen Thanabalan use recording software but to have it in Microsoft applications for a PC is amazing for recording down lectures and getting those marks, the tab for each academic week divided into days sounds like a great plan,and IS!

• Pedro August 10, 2009, 6:14 am

I’m trying to quit using Word and start using OneNote. I like the idea of easily organizing my notes, yet I think that OneNote should provide more formatting features, such as Word. That’s the only thing that keeps me from quitting Word…

• Wayne Fosburgh June 26, 2013, 12:26 am

How’s things, beautiful site but there is a issue whereby on occassion I get sent back to the main page whenever I look at other webpages within your website.